Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Collected 1976-1988 command chronologies

Gents, I'm on deck in Quantico, and I just copied our command chronologies from 1976-1988.  That's all the Gray Research Archive has for us until 2001 or so.  Next week I'm going to locate the end of the 80s and all of the 90s back at Great Lakes (it's either with us or with Group).  In the next day or so, I'm heading over to the National Archives to see how much of our 1953-1975 stuff I can find (all the name changes won't make it easy).

So far, it's going well.  Gray's been a great help, and we now have a huge amount of MWCS-48 history in one place.  I provided them some of our documentation as well, like then-LtCol Davis' letter from NFL Properties about the 1988 unit logo change (which I've also provided to the Bears historian and the NFL Archives, neither of which had a copy).

I'll let you know what I find at the National Archives, but let me know if you have any historical information on Comm Squadron...really, anything.  And again, if you have stories from your time in, let me know and we'll set up an interview so I can get the story added to the History Division's Oral History Program (at which point I can add info from your story to the MWCS-48 Wikipedia page).

Finally, if any of you are in the Quantico area this week and want to get a beer, I'll be in the Globe and Laurel every night.

Semper Fi,
Capt Palmer

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I was an origional member of MWCS-48 back in 1976. I was one of the marines that approved our logo.Please do not change it,as the marines are very traditional.My name is Al Hoffman, Sgt. served from 1975-1981. Please drop me a line... thanks,semper - fi thehoffmancompanies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete